Hundreds of ovarian follicles, tiny sacs packed with fluid, grow and mature eggs within the ovaries. When an egg reaches the maturity stage, it breaks through the follicle and releases during the ovulation process. The egg travels through the fallopian tube to the uterus. When the egg is unfertilized, it breaks down with the uterine lining and flushes out of the body during the period.
During normal conception, the sperm fertilizes the egg in the fallopian tube. Once the fertilized egg reaches the uterus, it attaches to the uterine wall and develops into a foetus. In IVF, the fertilization process takes place outside the body, in a laboratory.
Instead of using just one mature egg, IVF employs more eggs to improve the chances of pregnancy. Additional eggs are obtained by ovarian stimulation. Ovarian stimulation has two types mild and standard. Based on the patient’s medical condition, the infertility doctor executes one of them.
For standard ovarian stimulation treatment in India, immense expertise and vision are required to administer proper hormonal doses and monitor egg growth to obtain healthy eggs for successful treatment. Hence, if you have trouble conceiving, you should consult one of the best infertility doctor in India, like Dr. Hrishikesh Pai.
Dr. Hrishikesh Pai is one of the best IVF doctor in India. Moreover, he has over 30 years of expertise in handling thousands of obstetrics, gynecology, and infertility cases. Besides, Dr. Hrishikesh Pai is the medical director of Bloom IVF Group. Bloom IVF is one of the best IVF centres in India, having nine branches across the country.
Continue reading this article to learn about standard ovarian stimulation, its purpose, benefits, and more.
First, let’s know,
What is Ovarian Stimulation?
The process of inducing ovarian follicular development and oocyte maturation using medications is known as ovarian stimulation.
Ovarian stimulation prepares oocytes for retrieval. It also prepares the uterus for embryo implantation by promoting the growth of the endometrial lining, the tissue in which a fertilized egg (embryo) implant.
Now, let’s know,
Types of Ovarian Stimulation
1. Mild Ovarian Stimulation
Low-dose hormone injections, usually in combination with oral pills, are used in mild ovarian stimulation. The consumption of gonadotrophin decreases as a result of this combination.
2. Standard Ovarian Stimulation
On the second day of the menstrual cycle, ovarian stimulation begins. The infertility doctor may begin stimulation on any day of the menstrual cycle in patients requiring immediate fertility preservation. It is known as random start stimulation. The type and initial dose of gonadotrophins is chosen based on the patient’s medical condition.
How does ovarian stimulation work?
- Ovulation stimulation drug regimens regulate various endocrine activities.
- To a significant extent, these medications stimulate normal ovarian activities (e.g., follicle development, growth of the endometrial lining).
- In contrast to a natural cycle, in which the timing of hormonal changes is driven by naturally occurring hormonal fluctuations, each hormone shift in a stimulated cycle is timed to maximize the quality of oocytes released.
- Medication administration will be timed to allow for associated ART procedures (e.g., IUI, oocyte retrieval).
Who is Eligible for Ovarian Stimulation?
- In anovulatory women or women with mild endometriosis, ovarian stimulation can help induce menstrual periods. For conception, the stimulation should be coupled with either frequent sexual intercourse or intrauterine insemination (IUI).
- Ovarian stimulation is not required when IUI is used to overcome malefactor infertility. It does not result in higher pregnancy rates than when IUI is performed during a natural menstrual cycle.
What is the Cost of Standard Ovarian Stimulation Treatment in India?
- The cost of standard ovarian stimulation treatment in India depends on the type and dose of medication used and the number of ultrasound and blood tests required to keep track of the cycle. Incorporating intrauterine insemination into the cycle increases both the success rate and the cost.
The Actual Process of Ovarian Stimulation
- Usually, on day 2-4 of the menstrual cycle, the infertility doctor orders baseline blood tests and perform an ultrasound.
- The doctor may prescribe medications after analysis of the ultrasound and blood test reports.
- The doctor administers medications (gonadotrophins or anti-estrogens) to stimulate the development of ovarian follicles, which then begin the initial oocyte maturation.
- The doctor provides medications to limit elevations in luteinizing hormone (LH) (the gonadotrophin that regulates oocyte release from follicles) to assure that oocytes survive within their follicles rather than released into the fallopian tubes.
- The doctor utilizes ultrasound and blood testing to monitor the response to the medications and follicle sizes.
- The infertility doctor can administer the human chorionic gonadotrophin (hCG) shot to stimulate the final maturation of oocytes.
- It takes about 36 hours and results in ovarian follicles rupturing and releasing oocytes. Therefore, associated ART procedures, such as IUI or oocyte pickup, are scheduled 36 hours after hCG administration, the third and final stage of the ovarian stimulation process.
Benefits of Ovarian Stimulation
- By allowing the retrieval of a large number of mature oocytes per cycle, ovarian stimulation dramatically improves the efficiency of ART.
- It can also be used to get anovulatory women to ovulate. As a result, many infertile couples can conceive.
Limitations and Risks of Ovarian Stimulation
- Ovarian stimulation has the potential to result in ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS). It’s more common when hormonal injections are used for ovarian stimulation. The ovaries swell and become painful in OHSS.
- Nausea, vomiting, tenderness around the ovaries, and stomach pain are all symptoms of OHSS.
Schedule an appointment with Dr. Hrishikesh Pai, one of the best IVF doctor in Mumbai, India, to seek the most effective fertility treatments, such as standard ovarian stimulation treatment in India.
Frequently Asked Questions
During ovarian stimulation, doctors urge all patients to avoid vigorous activities. It can put them at risk for ovarian torsion.
Preparing for egg retrieval can be a strenuous process. The patient might feel some mild cramping and bloating, as well as some faint spotting. After that, the patient needs to rest for a day or two.
Swimming will not stress or fatigue the body. Swimming, on the other hand, has numerous advantages during IVF cycles. Swimming and walking lower the heart rate to a healthy level while putting less stress on the body.
Under ultrasound supervision, the doctor retrieves the eggs. Hence, the risk of harm is relatively low.
“Prenatal sex determination & sex selection is illegal in India and not done here. It is a punishable offence.”