Dr. Hrishikesh Pai
MD FRCOG (UK) FCPS FICOG MSc (USA)
Dr. Hrishikesh Pai is one the country’s experienced doctors, practicing obstetrics, Gynecology & Infertility for the past 35 years. He is MD gold medalist from the Seth G S Medical College & K E M Hospital University of Mumbai. He did his one-year Clinical Fellowship in Reproductive Biology from the Royal Women’s Hospital Melbourne Australia in 1989. He did his two years Master’s in Clinical Embryology & Andrology from the Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, USA in 2006-8. He is also the pioneer in the field of infertility and IVF since 1991.He is presently the director of the Bloom IVF Group which runs Nine IVF centers all over India including Lilavati Hospital, Mumbai, Bloom Nasik and Fortis hospitals in New Delhi, Gurgaon, Mohali, Navi Mumbai. Recently he has been active in the area of Next Gen sequencing & Genetics for antenatal screening (NIPT)and Preimplantation Genetic Testing (PGT)
- Administrator FOGSI Manyata Project (with MSD for Mothers, Mac Arthur foundation & JHPIEGO )
- Director – Corporate Affairs, International Federation of Fertility Societies (IFFS)
- Honorary Consultant & Post Graduate teacher DNB examination Lilavati Hospital (2007 till date)
- Visiting Professor in OBGYN Manipal Medical College
- Editor Indian Edition of British Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology BJOG
- Editorial board of IFFS international Surveillance Global Health 2019-2022
- Member International Advisory Board IVF Worldwide
- Chairman Health Promotion Society
- Medical Director – Bloom IVF Group
- Consultant & IVF specialist at Lilavati Hospital Mumbai, D Y Patil Medical College Navi Mumbai
- Consultant & IVF Specialist at Fortis hospitals New Delhi, Gurugram, Faridabad, Mohali & Vashi
- Past Senior Vice President FOGSI (2006)
- Immediate Past Secretary General FOGSI (2015-2017)
- Past Deputy Secretary General FOGSI (2012-2014)
- Past Treasurer FOGSI (2009-2011)
- Past Chairperson of Genetics & Fetal Medicine Committee of FOGSI (2001-2005)
- Past Director of External Affairs of IFFS (2016-2019)
- Past assistant Treasurer of IFFS. (2013-2016)
- Founder & past chairman of the Indian Special Interest Group (ISIG) of the American Society of Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) (2017)
- Past President of the Indian Society for Assisted reproduction (ISAR) (2014-2016)
- Past president of the Indian Association of Gynaecological Endoscopist (IAGE)(2007-2009)
- Past president of the Mumbai Obstetrics and Gynaecological Society (MOGS)(2008)
- Past Founder Chairperson Maharashtra ISAR(2012-2015)
- Past Assistant adjunct professor in Clinical Embryology and andrology at the Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, USA. (2008-2016)
- Honorary consultant Kurla Bhaba Municipal General Hospital BMC (1991-2007)
- Assistant honorary Professor & Post graduate teacher for MD D Y Patil Medical College(1993 till 2007)
- Member of various state and central govt committees such as ART, PCPNDT, surrogacy, still birth & national standards committee.
- Founder Editor of Journal of Gynecological Endoscopy & Surgery
- Editorial board of the IFFS International surveillance 2013-2016 & 2017 -2019
- He has published 28 papers in National & international journals,
- Edited 16 books
- Contributing author to more than 55 chapters to various books & publications
- Delivered 20 plus orations
- Invited speaker , chairperson & panelist for hundreds of National & International conferences since 1991.
Recipient of more than 40 awards ,some of them being:
- Honorary FRCOG the esteemed Fellowship ad eundem of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists in 2019.He had the privilege of receiving it in RCOG London 2019
- ISAR Late Dr. Prabha Malhotra life time achievement award Hyderabad 2020
- Shri Satya Paul Chairman’s award New Delhi 2020
- FOGSI Shiromani award AICOG Lucknow 2020
- FOGSI Champions of Motherhood award lucknow 2020
- Lifetime Achievement Award for Outstanding Research in Reproductive Health by ISSRF New Delhi 2019
- FOGSI Partnership Health Award by MSD for Mothers & USAID New Delhi 2018
- Times Healthcare Achievers Award , Time of India group ,Mumbai 2018
- MOGS Dr. B N Purandare outstanding service award Mumbai 2017
- National IMA best doctor award New Delhi 2017
- Medscape India National Award Mumbai 2017
- Dr. Kanak Goel National Indian Medical Association award for Community Service Amritsar 2016
- MD Gold Medalist in OBGYN University of Mumbai 1985
- Best Interns prize for doing polio immunization in the slums of Malwani Mumbai, 1982
Dr. Pai has organised many landmark conferences including:
- Organising Chairperson – The All India Conference of Obstetrics & Gynecology, Mumbai AICOG 2013 (attendance 12000 plus)
- Organising Secretary – IFFS world conference Delhi NCR 2016 (attendance 2500 plus)
- Organizing Chairperson of ISAR annual Conference 2019 Mumbai (attendance : 2500 plus)
Community Service & Governmental Interaction
- National Administrator of FOGSI Manyata Program. This was launched in 2017, by FOGSI in association with MSD for Mother, Jhpiego (USA) & MacArthur Foundation (USA) to reduce maternal and infant mortality in India by upgrading the Maternity Homes in India. Presently more than 800 Maternity homes have already been upgraded. Recently in 2019 FOGSI received the CSR health award for this project.
- Dr. Pai was involved in the launch and implementation of the Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan PMSMA (2016 onwards). This involves free antenatal check up by private practitioners on a voluntary basis on 9 th of each month. In 2018 FOGSI received award & recognition from Government in New Delhi.
- Dr. Pai has been involved in the launch of Nari Swasthya Pahel by FOGSI in 2017. This project was launched in New Delhi in the presence of Ministers & health officials. For the first time FOGSI gave awards to more than 16 NGOs. In this ongoing project, financially disadvantaged women, are offered free gynaecological check-up including blood investigations and pap smear, free of charge. Thousands of women have benefited from this project.
- Dr. Pai was co convenor of the launch of two-day conclave called “Arogya Mahila”, in 2019. This was launched in New Delhi in the presence of Union Health minister & government officials. All issues on women’s health were discussed during the two-day meet. Later on as Co-convenor FOGSI FACT Conclave guidance was published on PCPNDT act , LSCS, Hysterectomy & respectful maternal care.
- Dr. Pai had launched Project Hope, when he was the President of Indian Society for Assisted Reproduction, in 2014-2016. In this economically disadvantaged people from society were offered entire IVF cycle free of charge. Many people availed of this project.
- Dr. Pai is the Chairman of Health Promotion Society, founded in 1960 by his father Padmashri Dr. D N Pai. This society has done yeomen work in the field of Family welfare /planning as well as serving the elderly of society. The Society has won numerous awards from the Government.
- Dr. Pai was the Honorary Consultant in Gynecology at the Kurla Bhaba Municipal Charitable Hospital for many years (1991 till 2007;16 years). During this half day free service, Dr. Pai has done work for thousands of patients. All this was done pro bono. This is the most important singular landmark of Dr. Pai’s carrier
- Dr. Pai was the Community servicer Director of the Rotary Club of Mumbai mid-city for two years. During his tenure, he has done tremendous social work in the area of health for the women, children and elderly patients.
- Dr. Pai has done maximum polio vaccination in one month (1982), when he was posted as a young intern in the large slum ghetto of Mumbai called Malwani. For this work, he had received the Best Intern Award from his Medical School.
Prenatal sex determination & sex selection is illegal in India and not done here. It is a punishable offence.